Daughters of the Niger Delta
Documentary (56 min) • Winner of 3 Awards!
'Daughters of the Niger Delta' tells a different story about the Niger Delta than the usual media reports about oil outputs, conflict, and kidnapping. The film gives a taste of everyday life in the region through the eyes of three ordinary women: Hannah, Naomi, and Rebecca. We see them struggling to build lives of dignity for themselves in the beautiful but pollution-marred Niger Delta wetlands. As their personal stories unfold, we come to see that the widely ignored environmental pollution in their backyard is not the only injustice undermining women's human rights.
‘Daughters of the Niger Delta’ is a bottom-up film production. Rather than bringing in external filmmakers to document the lives of women, young women from the heart of the region were equipped with the tools and skills to do so themselves. They were trained in filmmaking as part of a MIND capacity building program entitled FEMSCRIPT. It’s time to listen to women’s voices. Their priorities are relevant not just for the Niger Delta, but also for other parts of Nigeria that currently are marred by violence and social unrest.
"This documentary left me emotionally disturbed long after it had ended". Gimba Kakanda, Premium Times
‘An important and thought-provoking piece that personalizes our understanding of the Niger Delta.’ Carmen McCain, Weekly Trust
‘The producers have, as never before, brought to public attention the stark realities on ground in respect of the human rights of women and children.’ Hauwa Imam, The Nation
'This is a documentary that should travel wide and that should be seen by key stakeholders and policymakers.' Shaibu Husseini (Arts/film journalist, The Guardian)
'New documentary that's revolutionarizing the way the world sees an African Nation.' News Interview, Kansas City TV (KCTV, USA, 9 Oct 2013)
- London Feminist Film Festival, London, UK (29-11-2013) - AWARD: AUDIENCE FAVORITE
- EKO International Film Festival, Lagos, Nigeria (22-11-2013)
- Africa International Film Festival (AFRIFF), Calabar/TINAPA, Nigeria (15-11-2013)
- United Nations Association Film Festival, SF/East Palo Alto, CA, USA (23-10-2013)
- UNSPOKEN Human Rights Film Festival, Utica NY, USA (18-10-2013)
- UNSPOKEN Human Rights Film Festival, Rome, NY (19-10-2013)
- La Femme Int. Film Festival, Los Angeles, CA, USA (19-10-2013) - AWARD: BEST DOCUMENTARY
- Kansas International Film Festival, Kansas KS, USA (10-10-2013)
- Baghdad International Film Festival, Baghdad, Iraq (7-10-2013)
- Abuja International Film Festival, Abuja, Nigeria (26-09-2013) - AWARD: BEST DOCUMENTARY
- Rwanda Film Festival, Kigali, Rwanda (23-07-2013)
- PUFF, Hong Kong (29-06-2013) - SPECIAL MENTION
Please subscribe to our mailing list for further updates.